International business, especially where joint ventures or prolonged negotiations are involved, is fraught with difficulties. Apart from practical and technical problems, national psychology and characteristics frequently interfere at the executive level, where decisions tend to be more complex than the practical accords reached between accountants, engineers and other technicians.
Before you meet new clients, you can carry out important preparation to increase your chances of success in the export market:
– Message and total value proposition, customized for your market.
– Formulating your sales pitch so that it ‘speaks to’ your customer.
– Training on the background and business etiquette.
– Customize your company presentation to make it suitable for the local market.
– Preparation of meeting agendas to make sure you find out the information that will empower you to make informed business decisions.
– Cultural differences and how to deal with them.